Sent by e-mail from: Jean Paul Brice Affana, Focal Point to the UNFCCC Secretariat, YOUNGOs, Youth Constituency at the United Nations, Framework Convention on Climate Change, Yaoundé, Cameroon
The Youth Constituency at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (YOUNGO) received funding from the Norwegian government to enable the participation of fifteen (15) youth from Global South at the 17th Conference Of Parties at the UNFCCC (COP17) in Durban from 28 November to 9 December 2011, including the 7th Conference Of Youth (COY7) that will held from 25-27 November 2011 in Durban as well. YOUNGO now has the pleasure to announce the call for applications and invite all young people in the Global South involved with climate change activities, projects, campaigns and who are active members of organizations to consider this call. If you are interested to apply, please read carefully the information below before applying.
Who can apply?
Young people eligible to apply for this grant support must fulfil the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of a Global South country and hold its nationality when applying
- Be above 18 years old at the 31st December 2011
- Be an active member of an environmental and/or climate focused organization or group
- Be available to travel to Durban on the 24 November and leave on the 10 December
- Demonstrate strong understanding of the role youth plays to achieve a safer climate
- Demonstrate strong understanding of the UNFCCC process or passion to learn about
- Provide a support letter from the organization or from any other relevant referee
- Have a valid personal passport (due to time priority will be given to passport holders)
- Not be a relative or employee of Jeunes Volontaires pour l’Environnement (JVE)
- Not be a relative of a former or current YOUNGO Focal Point
- Commit to actively participate in all activities the Youth Constituency will be organizing in Durban and related to the COY7, the COP17 as well as the final wrap-up
- Commit to respect the Code of Conduct of YOUNGO as well as the Guidelines for the participation of representatives of NGOs at the UNFCCC meetings
- Commit to write a 4-5 pages report of participation at COY7 and COP17 and submit it to YOUNGO within one week after the end of the conference in Durban.
What the funding grant cover?
The funding will enable the participation of all selected 15 youth and will cover:
- A round-trip air-ticket from the home country to Durban, South Africa, in economy class
- Accommodation in Durban from 25 November until 10 December 2011, covering the 7th Conference of Youth (25-27 November), the two weeks of COP17 negotiations (28 November-9 December) and one day of wrap-up organized by YOUNGO (10 December)
- Daily subsistence allowance covering food and local transportation in Durban
- Airport pick-up in Durban by facilitators of the Youth Constituency (YOUNGO)
- Visa and travel insurance fees (it might be possible that the visa is granted for free)
Please note that the grant does not cover other costs like passport, vaccinations, visa application documentation, clothes, transportation from your house to the airport of departure, and extra bills at your accommodation location like phone communication, min-bar or laundry services. We strongly advise you to take this into consideration.
How to apply?
Any youth from Global South fulfilling the above mentioned criteria is welcome to apply for this grant support. You will have to fill in an application form and commitment form, see below at the end of this call, and also attach a supporting letter from your organization/group or any relevant referee as well as a copy of your valid passport. Please make sure toanswer all the questions and do not forget to include all necessary contacts as we might need to contact you if you are selected in a very short time. We also encourage you to meet the application deadline as late application will not be considered. You will received an email once your complete application is submitted.
How is the selection process conducted?
A Selection Committee set by YOUNGO will be in charge of selection the youth participants based on the applicants written application. This process will be transparent and fairly conducted. The Committee’s final decision will not be subject to claim. The Selection Committee is not interfering in the administration of the grants as this will be done by Jeunes Volontaires pour l’Environnement (JVE), a Togolese youth-led organisation that has been selected by YOUNGO to administrate the funds in accordance with the UNFCCC Secretariat’s rules. JVE also is not responsible for the selection process.
Deadline and announcement of the selection results
The deadline for application is 9 November 2011 at midnight GMT. Please send the application form, commitment form, supportive letter and electronic copy of your passport to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Selected participants will be notified via email and at the phone number they will provide in their applications by 11 November 2011 by the Selection Committee. We therefore advise you to check your email during that period as visa and travel arrangements will start as soon as the selection is finalized.
For any further information or any questions, please contact the Facilitating Committee of this grant at: email@example.com
For the Application Form, CLICK HERE.
For the Commitment Form, CLICK HERE.